GSCA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Georgia Strength Coaches Association

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Suggestions on becoming a strength and conditioning coach

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Ded_Serious

Suggestions on becoming a strength and conditioning coach Empty
PostSubject: Suggestions on becoming a strength and conditioning coach   Suggestions on becoming a strength and conditioning coach I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 2:22 pm

Dear Group,
My name is Dedrick Henry and I am an ISSA certified fitness trainer. I am also a member of the Southern Powerlifiting Federation where I compete in the bench press. I am interested in becoming a strength coach on the high school or college level. Any suggestions on where to start? I live in Atlanta. Thanks.

-Dedrick
Back to top Go down
ClayCHS

ClayCHS

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on becoming a strength and conditioning coach   Suggestions on becoming a strength and conditioning coach I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 12:45 am

I am assuming that you are not a certified teacher. If that is the case, there is such a thing as a provisional teaching certificate that will allow you to teach for a couple of few years and go to school at the same time to acquire your teaching credentials. I have heard of more than one guy around the metro area who is a strength coach at a local high school and does not teach there, I guess he would be considered a community coach. I guess it is pretty obvious that this is not the best situation, being that you will not be able to coach your kids throughout the school year, only in the summers and holidays. If it is really what you want to do, you will most likely have to go back to school and earn your certificate. I would go around to some local high schools and offer up your services and see where it leads you. Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
Ded_Serious

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on becoming a strength and conditioning coach   Suggestions on becoming a strength and conditioning coach I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 12:50 am

ClayCHS wrote:
I am assuming that you are not a certified teacher. If that is the case, there is such a thing as a provisional teaching certificate that will allow you to teach for a couple of few years and go to school at the same time to acquire your teaching credentials. I have heard of more than one guy around the metro area who is a strength coach at a local high school and does not teach there, I guess he would be considered a community coach. I guess it is pretty obvious that this is not the best situation, being that you will not be able to coach your kids throughout the school year, only in the summers and holidays. If it is really what you want to do, you will most likely have to go back to school and earn your certificate. I would go around to some local high schools and offer up your services and see where it leads you. Hope this helps.

This definitely helps! Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on becoming a strength and conditioning coach   Suggestions on becoming a strength and conditioning coach I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Suggestions on becoming a strength and conditioning coach
Page 1 of 1