GSCA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Georgia Strength Coaches Association

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Westside Question

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
joemullins

Westside Question Empty
PostSubject: Westside Question   Westside Question I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2009 4:10 pm

Guys I have a question and the Westside Template. I have been using Joe D's Westside for Skinny Bastards program with my football team for about 1 1/2 years and we have had great success. THE question that I have is when you guys have your athletes work to a 1, 3, or 5 rep max, is there a template that you use to help your athletes properly warm-up and work up to there max effort. I have so many kids to keep up with; I am just trying to find a template using percentages or something to make it run smoother. I have read articles on Elitefts dealing with this; I just wanted to know what you guys do. Thanks in advance and thanks for the great site.

JOE MULLINS
PICKENS HIGH SCHOOL
Back to top Go down
ClayCHS

ClayCHS

Westside Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westside Question   Westside Question I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2009 6:31 pm

Great topic for discussion Coach. I have struggled with this myself and experimented with some different ways to control how they work up to their max. Percentages may be the easiest, but I like to try and get my kids to learn how to work up on their own because I think it will help them when we do our 1RM's. Like most of you guys, I want my kids to learn how to train themselves. We still have kids in class who work up way too fast, and these are the same kids I have trouble with with almost everything we do. They are idiots who are uncoachable. I have a couple that are just dumb and they need/ want to be told exactly what to do with everything we do. I usually watch them closely and tell them what to put on the bar for the next set. I dont know if I helped you out at all, maybe someone else can help us both.
Back to top Go down
coachfloyd

Westside Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westside Question   Westside Question I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 10:03 am

Coach,
Great question. Here is how i do it. For a 5 rep max I have 5 sets plus one bonus set.
61%x5 67%x5 73%x5 79%x5 85%x5

If they get all of their reps, they are able to attempt a 6th set with 85% plus 5. If they miss a set, they go back to the last set they made and repeat it. Remember that these percentages are really just arbitrary and only really work on the core lifts. I have found that it is much too hard to tell kids to "work up" unless you have many eyes watching. They have to be told what to do.
Back to top Go down
ClayCHS

ClayCHS

Westside Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westside Question   Westside Question I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 12:08 pm

I was hoping you would jump in on this Jay. My kids are doing a pretty good job this semester with performing 5 and 3 rep maxes. We only do it on a core lift, so that means 6 racks at a time. I dont have to watch every rack because as I said, most are pretty coachable. The ones who dont get it would be the ones who will not follow the prescribed percentages anyway, so to me its 6 one way, half a dozen the other. Anyway, just playing devils advocate, but I think as far as how to set it up percentage wise, Jay has it nailed.
Back to top Go down
coachfloyd

Westside Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westside Question   Westside Question I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 1:02 pm

And its not set in stone. I have moved the percents around a ton. I usually just pick my target percentage and subtract 6% from each set for my warmups.
Back to top Go down
joemullins

Westside Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westside Question   Westside Question I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 12:45 pm

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the info, I have been using percentages to help kids work up to a max. What do you think is the correct number of sets needed to warm-up and work to a max. I have heard Joe defranco say 8 sets. Thanks for all the help.

JOE MULLINS
Back to top Go down
coachfloyd

Westside Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westside Question   Westside Question I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 2:31 pm

Joe,
I use 6 sets because I follow the Tier System. In the Tier system the foundation exercise gets 6 sets. The secondary exercise gets 5 sets. the third exercise of the day gets 4 sets. When I first implemented this rep system at Troup, the average squat increase in the 1st 9 weeks was 58 lbs. Bench was 14 and clean was 15. These werent all beginners either. About 75% had already been with me half a year and a summer. I had one kid go from 435 to 525 in the squat during that time. I had 4 increase by 90 or more lbs.

Now when I was powerlifting I did a ton of warmup sets before my max effort set. A typical board press workout during my "prime" would be
Bar x 10
135x5
185x5
225x5
275x5
315x3
add board 365x3
405x3
Then I would start my max attempts for the day.
Back to top Go down
joemullins

Westside Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westside Question   Westside Question I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 12:59 am

Hey Coach,

Thanks for the info, where can I find more information on the Tier System. I appreciate all the help.

JOE MULLINS
Back to top Go down
coachfloyd

Westside Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westside Question   Westside Question I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 2:25 pm

Search for Joe Kenn's Book. It is awesome.
Back to top Go down
joemullins

Westside Question Empty
PostSubject: Tier System   Westside Question I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 5:36 pm

Coach Floyd,

I purchased Joe Kenn's Tier System Book and it is great. I have 2 questions. Do you use the elite model described in the book, and do you know where to get a copy of the excel program he uses. There was a snap shot of the excel sheet in American Football. Thanks for recommending the book.

JOE MULLINS
PICKENS HIGH SCHOOL
Back to top Go down
coachfloyd

Westside Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westside Question   Westside Question I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 12:12 pm

I dont have his program. I use a mix of the traditional and elite model. Basically it is the traditional with the elite dynamic day for lower body as a the teir 2 lower body for the day. if that makes any sense...are you coming to the clinic?
Back to top Go down
joemullins

Westside Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westside Question   Westside Question I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 9:54 am

Coach I will be at the clinic. Thanks for the info.

JOE MULLINS
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Westside Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westside Question   Westside Question I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Westside Question
Page 1 of 1