GSCA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Georgia Strength Coaches Association

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Sports Nutrition

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Tigernole9095

Sports Nutrition Empty
PostSubject: Sports Nutrition   Sports Nutrition I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 12:31 pm

Coaches - I represent the NCAA compliant Go shakes and Bars from the inventor of Gatorade, Dr. Robert Cade. We have had 150+ D1 schools use our products and 60+ NCAA championship teams and athletes. You may have tried them at the last GSCA clinic. If you ever have any questions about sports nutrition - feel free to call me at 877-414-6448 or email me at emader@goshakes.com and I can answer your questions, even if it isnt about the Go product line. Also, if you would like samples or pricing of our shakes or bars for your athletes to try, drop me a line and I will get you out product ASAP.

Check out www.goshakes.com too!

Eric Mader
Go Healthy
Back to top Go down
http://www.goshakes.com
joemullins

Sports Nutrition Empty
PostSubject: Nutriiton for athletes   Sports Nutrition I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2008 11:35 am

Hey Guys,

I have always struggled with providing what I felt was adequate information to my athletes regarding nutrition, eating habits, ect.. I would like to know what all of you provide your athletes in regards to nutrition, supplementation ect.. Thanks for a great site.

JOE MULLINS
Back to top Go down
ClayCHS

ClayCHS

Sports Nutrition Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sports Nutrition   Sports Nutrition I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2008 11:58 am

Coach, I try to keep it very simple with my kids. I am not going to sit there and read off percentages of fats, carbs, and protein from our health books. I talk to them about protein intake and specifically the timing of it in accordance with their workouts. I talk to them about the importance of breakfast, complex carbohydrate intake for energy,eating/ drinking for recovery, and just making better choices when eating, especially when they eat out. I posted on my teachers blog the best choices at popular fast food sites. I talk to them about going and eating at places that cook their food in peanut oil such as Chick fila and Five Guys. You always hear kids say, i eat all of the time and still cant gain weight. Horse crap. To gain weight, you take in more calories than you burn, its that simple. Most of those kids eat maybe one or two big meals a day and dont eat breakfast,. They have to eat breakfast and need to add a meal somewhere in their day. They can also have something right before they go to bed. I am not a proponent of telling kids to eat anything and everything, but basically, that is what they need to do. I think if you keep it simple for them, you will have better results. If they are serious about their training, they will make some changes to help themselves reach their goals.
Back to top Go down
coachfloyd

Sports Nutrition Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sports Nutrition   Sports Nutrition I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2008 3:42 pm

Clay is right. The very first thing I ask them is if they are eating breakfast. Most are not. Just the addition of breakfast with some protein can pay huge dividends. The easiest things to fix are:
1. No sugary drinks.
2. Limit potato chips, candies, and other junk food items.
3. Eat more protein. The easiest sources for kids are natural peanut butter, milk, and various meats. Protein shakes can help but they don't need to become dependent on supplements. They need to understand that protein shakes are just glorified food.
Back to top Go down
Tigernole9095

Sports Nutrition Empty
PostSubject: nutrition   Sports Nutrition I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 1:25 pm

Coaches,
Simple will save the day most every time, but you can not stress how important nutrition is to your kid's success on the field and in the class room. Adequate protein intake at the right time and in the right ratio, proper hydration, proper rest and consuming the right types of carbs at the right time all contribute to the bodies ability to recover, repair and increase size, strength and speed. Your athletes have more testosterone going through them right now than practically any other time in their lives and consistent training and nutrition will allow them to make gains in the weight room and on the field that they would not otherwise achieve if they skip one of the above mentioned areas.
Supplements are just that, supplements to a balanced diet and help them achieve greater gains in the weight room. Most of your athletes are burning 3000-4000 calories a day in season and almost as much during off season training. There is almost no way that they can consume that many good calories with out the help of some type of supplementation.
Back to top Go down
http://www.goshakes.com
Zach Reed

Sports Nutrition Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sports Nutrition   Sports Nutrition I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2008 1:12 pm

Here's a self test we use:

Do you…
eat breakfast seven days a week?
eat at least one-quarter of your daily caloric needs at breakfast?
eat at least three meals a day around the same time?
eat at least three pieces of fruit a day?
eat at least four vegetables a day?
consume half your diet from carbohydrates?
eat from all five food groups?
eat twenty to thirty grams of fiber a day?
immediately eat a post-workout meal that contains protein and carbohydrates?
eat enough to maintain body weight without having to eat extra the next day?
drink at least eight glasses of water?
go to bed around the same time each night?
wake up around the same time each morning?
get seven hours of sleep but avoid the habit of “sleeping in”?

Some of the questions need some explaining, but kids get the gist of it. It has been said once already, but breakfast is huge!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sports Nutrition Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sports Nutrition   Sports Nutrition I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sports Nutrition
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GSCA :: Georgia Strength Coaches Asso. Forum :: Strength and Conditioning-
Jump to: