GSCA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Georgia Strength Coaches Association

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Lifting scores.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
pgraybeck

Lifting scores. Empty
PostSubject: Lifting scores.   Lifting scores. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 8:18 am

Men- I am wondering how you rank your players by strength. (Lift totals or power index, etc.) Also if you can post your scores so i can compare with my team. Thanks
Back to top Go down
coachfloyd

Lifting scores. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lifting scores.   Lifting scores. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 11:49 am

Being a big guy, I hate the power index. I am sure there is a good formula to compare lifters, but just the straight Total/BW sucks for me. I believe it is better to compare lifters of the same bodyweight and not worry with comparison between body weights. You can however have a team competition that equally distributes points among various disciplines. I have used these in the past.
Squat Max-Big
Bench Max-Big
Power Clean Max-Mix
40-Skill
Pro Agility-Skill
Broad Jump-Can be a mix if you have athletic lineman
Tire Flip-Mix
Backwards Shot Put Throw-Mix

When Clay and I were at Alexander, our quarterback won the Shot put throw. At Troup, I had an undersized TE that blew everybody away in the Tire Flip. By doing it this way, we were able to have a good mix of linemen and skill kids in our top 10. At Troup, we even went so far as to have a Top 5 in Linemen, and a Top 5 in Skill and gave a trophy for the winner in both.
Back to top Go down
ClayCHS

ClayCHS

Lifting scores. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lifting scores.   Lifting scores. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 12:01 pm

I have display boards for the present team and an all time board. These boards have categories such as skill, LB/ TE and OL/ DL. We also have a powerlifting board with the 10 weight classes and a Lady Warrior record board. Having said that, my biggest concern is seeing improvement. I think too many coaches get caught up in having so many kids clean over this amount and squat over that amount. I always do a spreadsheet after we test and post it where the kids can see their improvements. I am all about having my kids set PR's whenever possible. I give them multiple opportunities over the course of a training phase to see improvement. We do 3 and 5 rep maxes quite a bit on Max Effort days. We may do a 3 rep max on close grip bench in the third and ninth week of a training phase and I will have the results from week 3 posted during week 9 so they can see what they did before and try to set a new pr. Many kids suck at 1RM's just like many kids suck at taking EOCT's or graduation tests and I like to give them more opportunities than just those 1RM testing dates to see improvement. It also gives me alot of feedback about some of the strengths and weaknesses of my kids.
Back to top Go down
coachfloyd

Lifting scores. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lifting scores.   Lifting scores. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 12:09 pm

Great post clay!
Back to top Go down
Zach Reed

Lifting scores. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lifting scores.   Lifting scores. I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2008 1:09 pm

We have a few different boards. Our classes are integrated between grade levels, football players and non-football players. Usually sport coaches of other sports hold workouts on their own before or after school. However, kids that play another sport and take the class fall into two categories: if they are young they take the class in order to make the team and depending on if whether they make it or not, take the class again and the other kid is one that takes the class year round even though they have their sport workouts just because they like the class. For the non-football kids and football kids we have an All-time Board. We also have a grade level board (sans seniors) that anyone can make. Finally, we have a Pound for Pound Board. Are boards are based on the one-rep max for bench, clean and squat.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Lifting scores. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lifting scores.   Lifting scores. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lifting scores.
Page 1 of 1